[Nsi-wg] Some questions/remarks on the v2 connection wsdl

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Thu Dec 6 04:46:06 EST 2012

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012, Vangelis Chaniotakis wrote:

> Oh, speaking of globalreservationid!

It was added before I started working in NSI, but I'll give it a go.

> we're only passing it around and persisting it not doing anything with it AFAICT.

Sounds right.

> - it's supposed to be a way to tie this connection with external services, right?

AFAIK, yes. Essentially a way to correlate links without using the NSI
query function.

> - if so, the name is not quite descriptive of its function

The name could indeed be better.

The term globalId or globalConnectionId would be better IMHO.

> - it's also optional, while the name sounds terribly important
> - why a URI instead of a string? or key-value pair

At some point it was supposed to be a UUID. Then it was probably relaxed.
Now it is a URI. +1 for making it a string.

> - there's only one of them, why not allow for a set?

I guess one should be enough, given it purpose.

On the topic of identifiers. All services (this should included NSI
connections) in NORDUnet are assigned a service identifier, which the NOC
can use to find information in our internal system. Note that this is just
per link, not global in any way. Currently this is is more or less
impossible to assign in the NSI protocol (John, did we land on anything in
the connectionId assignment discussion?).

     Best regards, Henrik

  Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
  Software Developer, NORDUnet