[Nsi-wg] Addressing connections across requesters

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Thu Aug 23 07:34:56 EDT 2012

Hi all-

Just a point of reference:  Prior protocols addressed this by having
each agent (the user and network) assign their own ID as part of the
request signalling.   Thus you always had unique ids because they only
needed to be unique for the agent creating them.   The other agent in
the protocol would simply assign a mapping from their unique ID to the
neighbor's unique ID.

Since an agent always new who it was speaking to, it would also know
which id to use when speaking to that agent.   So essentially this
amounts to a two level ID a globally uniq part (the NSA ID) and a localy
unique part.   These can be munged together, or kept as two separate
data elements in a compound object.

This sounds a bit convoluted, but it is really quite simple and solves
the problems of maliciously chosen duplicate IDs, and allows third party
agents to reference the ID without confusion.

To use this method, the RA assigns a locally (RA) unique ID and send the
reservation request to the PA, who will assign a local (PA) unique ID to
the connection and return that with the reservation response.    As long
as the formal connection ID includes the NSA ID and the local part, you
know deterministically that the CID is globally unique and that it won't
conflict at any NSA.

Jerry