[Nsi-wg] NSI demos for Supercomputing

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Mon Oct 31 16:26:55 CDT 2011

Hi All-

I hope you all had a nice well deserved and relaxing weekend.   Alas, we
must get started on the final stretch this year and prepare for the
Supercomputing demos... (there must be some cosmic justice to the fact
that "demonstration" begins with "demons"...)

The focus for SC will be to consolidate, stabilize, and demonstrate our
existing capabilities.

So, our target topology will be the topology we used last week for FIA,
plus any added GOLEs or Networks that participate.   There are two ways
to participate:  a) as an NSI network running an NSA, or b) as a
supporting organization that is willing to lend transport resources
between these NSI networks or is willing to help write software tools,
etc.   I will acknowledge all organizations on the posters/handouts.

---> I want to freeze the topology by November 7th so that applications
building off the diagrams don't have to keep fixing their graphics
everytime someone realizes they want to participate...So if you want to
be part of this, let me know ASAP.   (That means yesterday!:-))

The fundamental objective of the SC demo is to set up circuits using
NSI-CS across multiple domains and over real hardware.   So each network
will need to verify their 1) control plane interoperability with the
other NSAs, and 2) insure that their data plane is properly configured
between your network and your adjacent peer.

Attached is the initial topology diagram and the associated .owl file
for SC - SC2011-Topo-v1.0

Changes from latest FIA topo:
     - Added STPs for USLHCnet between NL and SL.

For SC, we will again use only four VLANs on each link: 1780 to 1783.
In some locations we may need to only use a subset of these depending
upon how the NSAs are resolved by next week.

Tasks:
For the GOLE/network operators: pursue the following tasks:

1) Every network should have at least one end system that can be used to
terminate circuits and that can issue and respond to IP layer Pings.
This could be a perfSonar host with apropriate access provided to the
demo team, or a small Linux or Mac, or possibly the switch processor
itself.   But we need something we can use to test to, and access to
configure and verify the circuit.

2) Control plane:  Begin testing immediately from your NSA to your
neighbor's NSA to set up simple intra-domain Reservation Requests across
your neighbor's network, and then progress to test inter-domain
reservations across your network *and* your neighbor.  THis is to insure
proper and reliable interoperability between NSAs.   Coordinate with
your neighbor network (you all know the PoCs by now) to test.

3) Data plane:  Ping test the connections to your neighbors' networks to
insure the VLANs are clear channels between the NSI Networks.   The
crossconnects within your networks will never work if the static VLANs
between networks are not operational first.   So _/verify these VLANs/_
by manually placing an end system from each network on each VLAN,
configuring the IP subnet, and pinging one another.

For the code developers:

1) Make sure your hardware/NRM interfaces are working reliably.

2) Make sure you are able to deal with SOAP/HTTPS messaging.  If you
need to implement it - now is the time.  If there are issues doing so,
lets get those exposed so that we can resolve them.   Monitor the nsi-wg
chat on Skype...

3) Make sure the Query command is working properly.

4) Lets get the Query Agent, the MotherEarth (autoEarth) vizualizer, and
the AIST-vizualizer working *RELIABLY*.    You all should dive into this
as soon as the SC WSDL interop, query interop, and HTTPS is working.
This is the capstone task for this year!!!   These visualizers will
exercise and demonstrate all of the other great work we've
accomplished.   So let make these look good!

Thanks all....   Any additions, corrections, thoughts, or comments,
please post or send them to me and we'll integrate them into the task
tracking...

Two weeks till Showtime!