[Nsi-wg] Issue 36 in ogf-nsi-project: STP list

ogf-nsi-project at googlecode.com ogf-nsi-project at googlecode.com
Mon Oct 17 10:22:47 CDT 2011

Updates:

Comment #3 on issue 36 by jmacau... at gmail.com: STP list
http://code.google.com/p/ogf-nsi-project/issues/detail?id=36

I am closing this issue.  Adding the order attribute is the only way to
guarantee the original ordering of an array of like elements modelled in a
<sequence>.  For example, in the "StpListType" definition we have a single
element definition that may have multiple instances.  The XML/XSD
specifications do not explicitly state that the instances of "stp" must be
in original programatic order, just that they must exist.

     <xsd:complexType name="StpListType">
         <xsd:sequence>
             <xsd:element name="stp"
type="tns:OrderedServiceTerminationPointType" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded" />
         </xsd:sequence>
     </xsd:complexType>

In JAX-WS this results in a List<OrderedServiceTerminationPointType> being
created.  The Java List<E> interface guarantees ordering based on
positional insertion.   However, other implementations may not use a
structurally ordered type (i.e. Map), and therefore, original programatic
order is not guaranteed.

I believe the specification does indicate that different <elements> in a
<sequence> must be ordered.  For example, in PathType below directionality
must occur before sourceSTP, sourceSTP before destSTP, etc.

     <xsd:complexType name="PathType">
         <xsd:sequence>
             <xsd:element name="directionality"
type="tns:DirectionalityType" default="Bidirectional"/>
             <xsd:element name="sourceSTP"
type="tns:ServiceTerminationPointType" />
             <xsd:element name="destSTP"
type="tns:ServiceTerminationPointType" />
             <xsd:element name="stpList"         type="tns:StpListType"
minOccurs="0" />
         </xsd:sequence>
     </xsd:complexType>

If anyone can find a specific standard-based definition the proves me wrong
I will make the change.