[Nsi-wg] Reservation request message

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Fri Mar 25 22:15:22 CDT 2011

Oh...a couple other comments I forgot:

First, the <nsaAddresses> examples do not seem right...
The message should reference a RA NSA and a PA NSA...  Those should not
need a domain reference...just the NSA identifier.    First, NSI context
has no notion of a "domain"...   but more importantly, we need to
specify where to find an NSA...it should ultimately resolve to an IP
address (v4 or v6) and a TCP port that NSA is listening to.   The NSA
location can be specified in a symbolic name manner, but it needs to be
specific to the transport layer it is using, and should not be handled
differently in the protocol for different transport layers.

So an NSA locator string could be:  "NSA.NORDU.net:2764" meaning the NSA
is listening to port 2764 on the server nsa.nordu.net.    Or we could do
"urn:ogf:network:   netherlight.edu"  and assume it is using a default
port that is documented somewhere.

We need to come to closure on NSA resolution.   I.e. How do we specify
an NSA location?   Is it an IP address and TCP port?  Is it a standard
DNS name?  a URN of some sort?

Also, the string you referenced as a local part of the netherlight.edu
STP is probably not valid if we use the colon seperated tuple for NSI
endpoints.   Endpoints will be referenced outside of XML contexts.  And
endpoint strings will be used in many other manners than simply the
local NRM.   Therefore, I think it is imperative that we make sure the
name strings are as simple as possible.  For instance is a network name
case sensitive?  Can it have colons ":" embedded in it?  Or will that
hose the tuple mechanism for naming?  Are spaces allowed?  are
linefeeds?  Are contiguous spaces significant?     I was hoping we could
let the local strings be whatever the local NSA wants them to be, but I
think we need to be a bit more specific about how we expect to be able
to use endpoint names.

We need to specify some constraints on the string values that make up
NSI names.   I suggest case-insensitive, no spaces, alphanumeric, and
maybe a small set of special characters.

Jerry