[Nsi-wg] NSI endpoint references

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Thu Mar 10 10:16:02 CST 2011

Hi folks-

We need to still decide on an NSI endpoint reference scheme.  This is
essentially a means to uniquely identify end points within the *NSI*
context.

I think it is very important that we not confuse the "NSI endpoint
reference"  with the topology information that the NSAs may internally
associate with an end point, or that other non-NSI functions may
require.  The NSI topology model only specifies "networks" and "edge/end
points".   And where an end endpoint in one network coincides with an
end point in another network, NSI topology captures this peering
connection relationship too.  But this is /_all_/ NSI has regarding
topology(!)   This is the NSI "context".

As far as I can see, all we really need within the NSI-CS specification
is a "network identifier" : "endpoint identifier" tuple to uniquely
identify an NSI-CS termination point.   These NSI references are only
relevant within the NSI context.  I.e. Any mapping of NSI endpoint
references to NRM resources is NRM specific and therefore (IMO) out of
scope for the NSI standard  (i.e. put another way: it is the NRM's
responsibility to perform that mapping.)   Further, I believe such
mapping is only a local issue, so we should not promote other
information beyond that local scope by allowing (or requiring) other
information in the NSI endpoint reference itself.   We should keep the
NSI endpoint reference abstracted above any specific local or physical
information.   If physical topological information is important to the
NSI, then we have a much bigger problem.  And if an NSA requires such
information, it should ask the owner/leaf NSA who presumably knows how
to get that information from the NRM.

The attached GLIF Global ID recommendation provides a good coverage of
names in this respect.  It defines a global identifier thusly:
<GID> := <domain part> ":" <local part>.
I think this is close to what JohnM was referring to on the call this
week(?)    Since this does provide the two basic components that NSI
requires, (a "network" name and a "local part" for endpoint name) I
think this will be a good and minimally sufficient way to specify NSI-CS
termination points in version 1.0.

The GLIF recommendation also allows for URN extensions.   However, I
would not include these as part of the NSI specification unless a) it
maintains the network::endpoint tuple of NSI, and b) we can specify
exactly what that URN should be and why it is necessary for NSI to
function properly.   At this time, I believe a simple name like
"nordu.net:CPH-AMS-10GE" or "NetherLight:pSonar" is sufficient for
v1.0.  i.e. references without a urn: prefix.

If someone thinks we need a URN specification for version 1.0, please
pipe up and provide the reasoning - there may be such, I just am unaware
of one in my mind at this moment.  (But please don't tell me its needed
for web services-WS is not why we created NSI:-).  Adding a URN prefix
qualifies the namespace - why does/should NSI need a qualified namespace
for endpoint references?  If you think we do, or even if you think it is
just a good idea, please explain how this reconciles with the NSI
architecture - i.e. how the URN version maps the <network><endpoint>
tuple, and how it improves the basic GID mentioned above?   Remember, we
are only speaking to _/NSI/_ endpoint references,...

I think as long as the basic <domain name><local part> tuple is
maintained in an endpoint reference (in conformance with the NSI
architecture), and the syntactic parsing is clear, then we do actually
have a good bit of flexibility in the strings themselves.

Thoughts?
Jerry

PS:  With respect to how the NSI to NRM mapping takes place for each
respective NRM, I think this should be described in the NRM
implementation guide, not the NSI specification.  NSI is NRM agnostic.
While this does imply some translation function is required at the NSA,
it keeps naming consistent across the entire NSI universe. (And I assert
that the mapping is only meaningful locally anyway.)