[Nsi-wg] Fwd: Describing Topologies

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Mon Jul 25 17:30:44 CDT 2011

Hi,

On 25/07/2011 12:51, Radek Krzywania wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A few questions on topology building (I am using SNE Editor for that):
>
> -          How do we indicate end points (e.g. servers)? Is it just a Port connected to Node, it’s additional Node, or a “connectedTo” label?:
>
> Node (GEANT) – Port (Poznan /to srv/)
>
> Or
>
> Node (GEANT) – Port (Poznan) – Port (Poznan srv)
>
> Or
>
> Node (GEANT) – Port (Poznan; connectedTo=”srv URI”)

The last one.

> -          According to documentation “The connectedTo statement uses the full URI of the connected port to show that it is connected to an outside Port, and uses the full identifier of that Port” – how do I know what is the URI of those ports? Should we agree between sites or is there a global register for those values?

You should contact the GOLE you are connected to. In the meantime you
can use a dummy URI, or something that approximates what you think it
should be.
I know this is not a nice solution, but it's the best I can give you. As
long as your neighbor does not publish a topology it is not going to
work anyway. And if you both don't have the same value, it does not work
either.

> -          What is the max/available Capacity format? Is it bits per second or bytes or Mbps, Gbps?

For now I went with the GMPLS standard which describes everything in
bytes per second.
In the future I may change to a (value, unit) thing so that everyone can
use their own units, and be clear about which one they use.

Suggestions are welcome.

Jeroen.