[Nsi-wg] Updated NSI WSDL

John MacAuley john.macauley at surfnet.nl
Thu Jul 7 10:40:49 CDT 2011

Guy,

I remember Jerry bringing this up in a call a couple of weeks ago and thought I would ask if we did anything to clarify or change the definitions.  In the WSDL at the moment we have the following in all request, confirmed, and failed messages:

         <xsd:element name="requestorNSA" type="xsd:anyURI" />
         <xsd:element name="providerNSA" type="xsd:anyURI" />

The issue brought up was the confusion between who is requestor, and who is a provider in a message exchange.  I have captured some rules below to describe my interpretation, however, do we think it might be better to change these to toNSA and fromNSA?  Not too sure...

So in a request message from a parentNSA in an RA role to a childNSA in a PA role we would have:

requestorNSA = parentNSA
providerNSA = childNSA

I assume in the response we would also have:

requestorNSA = parentNSA
providerNSA = childNSA

So the simple rules for an NSA implementor are:

1. My NSA identifier in requestorNSA when sending a request to children, and the child NSA identifier in providerNSA.
2. My NSA identifier in providerNSA when sending a confirmed/failed to a parent, and the parent NSA identifier in requestorNSA.

Now for the interesting bits:

1. Any pair of NSA can be both a parent NSA can be a child NSA to each other.  In this scenario we would use the appropriate roles to cover when we are a parent or child.

2. The forcedEnd message is a request sent from a child to a parent.  In this case the child propagating the forcedEnd message up the tree would put its NSA identifier in providerNSA and the parent in requestorNSA even though semantically this is a request message.

3. The Query message is also an interesting case since it can not only be sent to children, but from a child NSA to a parent NSA to retrieve information about common reservations.  I would recommend the following rules to keep the proper context with respect to a reservation:

1. My NSA identifier in requestorNSA when sending to a child of a reservation, and the child NSA identifier in providerNSA.
2. My NSA identifier in providerNSA when sending to a parent were I am a child in the reservation, and the parent NSA identifier in requestorNSA.

Comments?  Discussion?

John.