[Nsi-wg] Topology Abstract sent to Terena

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Sun Dec 11 10:55:29 CST 2011

Hi Jeroen-

See attached slides... (just two simple slides)

My point was that if you cannot ever swap between two particular
endpoints (portx/vlan100 and porty/vlan101) then those two particular
endpoints should not be advertised as being part a network service that
says it can do "any to any" switching - it can't.   If you advertise
this cross-connect capability (as we do implicitly), then you entice and
invite remote agents to take advantage of that capability - one which
internally you knew all the time was never possible - ever.   That seems
dis-ingenuous to me at best, and malicious in some worst case.    Why
not just advertise 1000 Gbps capability as well?    And this actually
causes the "exhaustive search" problem.

This does not mean that the remaining flat vlan switching capability is
not important and useful. Take StarLight for instance, it had four
convergent physical links: JGN,KRL,NL, and ESN.  Each with the four
VLANs.   Even though SL could not swap VLAN IDs in the process of
switching VLANs, it could still switch VLANs nontheless.   So,  A VLAN
100 from JGN could in fact switch to either of the other three
destinations KRL/vlan100, NL/vlan100, or ESN/vlan100 but it all cases it
retains the same VLAN 100.   So a non-swapping switch still provides
important conventional forwarding/crossconnect switching capability.
As it was, by advertising SL as a single physical Network rather than
four separate Network Services we created the problem of 75% of
advertised routes were impossible.

So we could have defined four VLAN planes SL80, SL81, SL82, SL83 -> each
as a separate NSI Network, and each would have had four adjacencies.
And those established and advertised adjacencies (SDPs) will have been
mapped apriori to the associated VLANs in both adjacent networks.  If
the adjacent network is also "VLAN challenged" the dependencies would
have already been expressed in their [internal] topology in a similar
fashion as well.  If those adjacent networks were label swapping, then
all four endpoints SL80:PS80, SL81:PS81, etc would have converged on the
same NSI Network as they do now...indicating that the adjacent network
can route the circuit between STPs with different VLAN IDs.

So in fact, just because a switch or a network cannot do VLAN swapping
does not mean it cannot do switching - and there is still important
value in this capability.    By subdividing the challenged Networks into
the appropriate VLAN planes, we express the very topological routing
information you want.  And it did not require any changes to the PFs in
other networks - and it did not actually require knowledge of the
particular VLANs labels or any physical technology information.

One last point:  The mingling of impossible cross-connects is externally
indistinguishable from simple internal resource exhaustion.   In terms
of asking for a Reservation, if the route is impossible or if there is
just not enough bandwidth, we still just get a reject.   So the question
is: If we run out of resources and some crossconnects become "highly
improbable" (but not strictly impossible) should we revoke those
advertisements on the same grounds that we don't advertise impossible
crossconnects?   Possibly...:-)    How long time will the "improbable"
cross connects remain "improbable"?  If a cross connect is highly
unlikely (e.g. Someone has reserved all 10 Gbps on a 10G path for 6
months...) is it misleading to continue advertsing it?    This is where
state updates become important and a grey area comes in...

Hope this helps.
Jerry