[Nsi-wg] NSI specific topology recommendation for plug fest.

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Fri Aug 26 16:22:34 CDT 2011

Now to respond intelligently to the substance of the concept...:-)

On 8/26/11 1:22 PM, John MacAuley wrote:
> I put it in so we can start to try some intelligent routing of messages in a more complex NSA topology.  I do not assume all NSAs are connected to all other NSAs since I do not think this will be true for anything other than our demo.  Being able to build an NSA tree to determine message routing needs some investigation, and since this isn't covered by the NSI CS protocol, it is a good time to start investigating for the next version of the protocol.  People can ignore it if they want but I am going to do some prototype code to use it.

All *NSAs* will be connected to all other NSAs...Just as any IP address
can connect (in principle) to any other IP address.   Whether an NSA
/_accepts_ /a request is a different issue.  This is policy, not message
routing.

Currently, NSI message routing follows the service tree...period.
There are no intermediate NSAs.   We have not stipulated any reqirement
for how an NSA chooses the next NSA it contacts to progress a service
request (Indeed, we have always stated that tree or chain was a local
decision, and so likewise would be which NSA to use.)   A particular
segmentation does not dictate a particular service tree, but a service
tree is *always* constructed, and it reflects the local hop by hop
policy decisions of each NSA down the tree.

So, if one wants to find the source of a *request*, one can still climb
the service tree with proper credentials and discover the ultimate RA.

However, if in practice we think that a given NSA will only be willing
to accept and handle service requests from a finite subset of clients
[NSAs] (which I think is entirely likely), then one can also expect many
NSAs will not be able to forward requests directly to the NSAs along
their desired [global] path - and these will need an intermediary.
I.e. If every NSA in the world does not authorize on "jerry at nordu.net",
then I need to know where to send requests that will result in the
connection being made.    I need a "default NSA" for my NSI service
requests.  Or a set of NSAs to use under different conditions.

It sounds to me as if you want to indicate some sort of NSI message
routing policy... I.e. Under these conditions, send requests to this
NSA, under those conditions, send a request to that NSA. A sort of
service request routing table.  Is this what you mean above?
I still believe this a local implementation issue and does not affect
NSI, and so need not be part of the interdomain topology.

Its an interesting discussion.  Want to elaborate more on what you have
in mind?

Thanks
Jerry