[Nsi-wg] Reservation request message

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Wed Apr 6 00:20:32 CDT 2011

Ok...I have been thinking on this NSA addressing issue a lot recently...

There are times when we do not want to forward a request to the NSA
associated with an endpoint.  One is a federating NSA that announces an
internal network we need.  Another is just a transit network we need to
use because we don't know how to reach the real nsa.  For these reasons
we should not expect the network name associated with an endpoint to map
us directly to the appropriate NSA for forwarding the request.   But
this is a simple problem, a local name table (in topology DB?) maps a
network we know about to an NSA delivery address.  Nordu.net.ETS={ KTH,
DTU,Stocholm.edu}  says Nordu.net.ETS speaks for these other network NSI
networks.  All this will be clearer when we work on topology
distribution, but for now, all we can say is that there are only a few
ways we could find out where to send a message to an NSA:

1. The NSA IP /port addr is configured by hand and read into the
topology DB at NSA initiatization.
2. We learn about a remote NSA from an automated Toplogy distribution
process.
3. There is some "well known" place to start ala DNS resolver.
4. Global file someplace.

Number 4 does not scale and is unreliable.   Might work in an
experiment, but not in a standard.
Number 3 requires other services and is similar to number 4. Certainly
too complex for now...and not necessary IMO.
Number 1 is the obvious place to start - we configure the Network name
and associated contact address manually.  These form the initial direct
peerings that we have arranged with other networks (ala BGP peers)
These initial NSA peers will presumably offer us topology - which
contains network announcements(2).  IMO, associating the NSA contact
info with the network topology object is the perfect location. We can
use the topology to build an incrementally more comprehensive set of
Networks and associated NSA contact info.

I think I like your suggestion to specify it as
<nsaAddress>tcp://NSA.NORDU.net:2764</nsaAddress> in the topodb, but in
the NSI message, I think I prefer a context free spec:  maybe just the
network name.   So if you are a PA and send amessage to the RA at
Nordunet, the RAnsaAddress in the ReserveConfirm would just be
"Nordu.net" or "Nordu.net.ETS" (for the Ethernet service).   These would
be found in the topodb and the associated ipaddr or the URi would be
used to actually send the messgae.

AS for the tuple syntax, I agree.  The colon has implications for
URNs...but the GLIF guys knew that too...why did they choose it none the
less?   I am not wed to using that specific syntax, but I do like the
more hierarchichal aproach ala //Nordu.net/endpoint1, or
Internet2.edu/MAX/UMD/perfSonar which would allow easier federation....

But for now, we have the two part tuple.  Lets stick with that.   We can
review the separator character, and the string syntax, but lets keep the
two part tuple. It works well in some key ways.   What do you suggest?
(Note- I will blow a fuse if you try to encode physical information into
these names for direct use by DRAC or any other NRM - it won't work in
real world. :-)    Whatever we do, we need to keep the NSI names and
objects abstracted from any particular hardware, technology, or NRM.
These have to work across all of them.

Peace brother:-)
Gotta sleep now.