[Nsi-wg] Timing issues

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Tue Oct 5 18:15:37 CDT 2010

Hi all-

In an effort to try to find clarity and concensus on these time issues,
I put a few slides together that I hope will differentiate terminology
and purpose.  And I hope this will make clearer some issues that we feel
good about but that are not sufficiently resolved (IMO) for a standards
document.

First - I think there are two aspects of "time" we are concerned about -
Calendar Time or absolute time, and Protocol Timing or relative time.
The former is something that I believe NTP will handle adequately for us
- and in the background - but we do need to probably state some specific
for how synchronized around a common time the NSAs need to be, and we
should clearly state *why* we think it is necessary.

Second,  IMO, I believe we need to understand better the "protocol
timing" issues and why we need to do more work on this.  Its not solved
by NTP.   I use the auto-provisioning scenario to illustrate the various
possible timing implications that can crop up from the way we have been
leaning in the discussions.

So please look over the slides...I can explain in more detail if someone
want to offline, or I can summarize them during the call on Wed.

I hope this helps...