[Nsi-wg] error management issues

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Wed May 5 09:26:58 CDT 2010

On May 5, 2010, at 1:20 AM, Inder Monga wrote:

> JOhn,
>
> Thanks for putting thought into error management as well. I have a
> few questions though -
>
> 1. I don't think maintaining state is hard - every point to point
> protocol has state on either side whether it be PPP, IPsec/IKE, TCP
> etc. This is not just ATM.
The problem with state here is that it has to be maintained for all
connection reservations, but all NSAs involved with making a
reservation.  The set of NSAs involved in a reservation for a
particular connnection may be different depending on who made the
reservation.  If  an NSA goes down the state of the connection as a
whole becomes indeterminate.  Or so it seems to me.

> 2. Each NSA pair maintains state between them. What they do is to
> inform the service tree under them when an error happens that
> requires notification up and down the service tree. The biggest
> issue here is a "state cleanup" problem i.e. when things go bad, you
> need to ensure that every NSA will clean up its state.
>
> 3. On slide 3, I do not understand the requirement "
> •Signals from NRM and Requestor should be the same
> –Need to define what these are, because they are carried on NSU

By this I mean that what the NRM signals about local resources should
be the same as what gets signaled by NSI about remote resources.  I
think we agreed to this on the calls.