[Nsi-wg] draft NSI architecture document

Guy Roberts Guy.Roberts at dante.net
Wed Mar 31 06:32:36 CDT 2010

Hi Jeroen,

This is the first I have seen of this doc.  Some interesting observations-
1. This model requires each domain to have a working GMPLS/ASON control plane, and interoperation between networks is at the control plane level.  This is not likely to be adopted because:
a) of trust issues with exposing domain internal topology to other providers.
b) each participating operator needs to implement a GMPLS/ASON control plane.
b) need for interoperation of e-NNI implementation between vendors.
Our model resolved each of these problems with the use of the service, but otherwise is very similar.
2. I like the section on assumptions - I think this would be useful in our document.
3. they introduce the concept of planes early on in the document - I think we should stick with this in our document.
4. the problem of data/transport plane modelling is resolved by referring to G.805.  We can resolve this by hiding the domain internal information using topology aggregation and abstraction.
5. They define a 'reference model' where only an inter-domain model is provided.  This is defined for both the control and data planes.  I think this is a good model to follow.
6. They tackle multi network aggregation (like our tree model) with the concept of 'proxies'.
7. I think their 'service classification' is a weakness of their model and we can do this more flexibly with service definitions.
8. As you say they have some useful requirements, I will review these and see if we can carry some over.
9.  I like the way the document starts with descriptive text, and is followed by a set of requirements.  We could follow this model in our architecture document by carrying over the agreed requirements from the 'NSI requirements' document.

Guy