[Nsi-wg] Topology virtualisation

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Tue Jun 22 12:26:15 CDT 2010

Erik-Jan Bos wrote:

> A very nice picture indeed. Indeed lightpath capable domains
> interconnect among themselves, with dedicated lambdas and/or fibers.
> What I am missing from this picture is the notion of a GOLE (GLIF Open
> Lightpath Exchange)

An optical exchange (aka GOLE) in this context is simply a topology.
Unlike internet exchanges (which have no layer 3 equipment), optical
exchanges do have to be exposed for path finding and monitoring. (They
need to describe and announce their switching functionality.)

The only distinction between a GOLE and an other domain is that a GOLE
is it's policy: a GOLE is "open" and will thus not define a policy on
its own (it may enforce the policy of connected domains, though).

Since this picture does not iterate on the policies and policy
enforcement, it is not necessary to distinguish between the topology of
a GOLE and the topology of any other domain.

Regards,
Freek