[Nsi-wg] NML topology

Inder Monga imonga at es.net
Tue Feb 23 01:11:54 CST 2010

Hi All,

Jerry I like the way you have differentiated the concepts. We have
multiple topology representations here - the physical transport
topology and the  abstracted Service Topology constructs.

> "Nodes" and "Links" in our current discussions represent resource
> objects that exist in the physical transport topology.   Both
> objects have physical characteristics (e.g. latency, a transfer
> function, bit error rates, etc.), and both have "Ports" (I/O
> interfaces) that move data streams into or out of each respective
> object.

The Physical topology model - model of theTransport Plane - consists
of Nodes, Ports, Links, among other adaptation and topology constructs
that are being defined by NML. EROs can be defined in terms of these
objects and pathfinding over the transport topology can be done. IMHO,
we do not need additional complexity, naming and addressing (the
fallout of adding another concept) to appear in the transport plane
topology. Can we all agree on this?

> It makes sense (and reflects reality) to say that all Nodes and
> Links are in fact owned by one domain or another...no such thing
> really as a free Link.   We should be able to represent this in our
> model.  I think a "Point" construct - i.e. a Touch Point or Tangent
> Point does this rather nicely. (Admittedly, I had to be convinced
> myself that such a construct was useful and could work.)

What you bring up here is the interesting merger of policy with
topology (as Freek also mentioned in his response). The existence of
the ownership policy is external to the physical transport topology
and does not need to be modeled within the transport topology. My
conjecture is that this policy resides within the Service Plane. So,
if we do have to discuss how to represent a joint policy-topology
representation, it needs to exist within the Service Plane and the NSI
group should do on top of how and what NML uses to define the
transport plane topology. This will help NML get unstuck and  move
forward, AND come up with a comprehensive set of physical topology
constructs that an NRM can use.

Coming back to the point about "points" - it is clear that this
concept has emerged due to the NEED to define an ownership attribute
of a resource, since each resource is owned ONLY by a single NRM.

	 One way to define an ownership attribute is to put this as an
additional attribute of the resource object. This is consistent with
current Service Plane where we use additional characteristics of the
resource like latency, capacity, existing reservations schedule aka
time etc. to implement the Path computation and scheduling function.

	The other way is to keep the concept of "points" in the service plane
aka the  "Service Termination Point" (STP). Service Termination Point
can represent both the ownership aspects and can be mapped onto a Node/
Port on a Transport plane topology. In the service plane, a NSI
request from the client would go from a source STP to a destination
STP and over intermediate STPs, if so defined in the ERO. These STPs
would define the inter-domain exchange points and would be mapped by
the NRM onto a {Port-Link-Port} group that exists from a physical
perspective to interconnect the two domains.

To summarize my point of view:
A. Lets separate the physical topology representations (NML) from the
service topology abstractions (aka STP).
B. Let us use the NML representations of the physical topology as a
common layer for resource provisioning, path-finding (and even multi-
layer pathfinding) on the physical plane.
C. Let us look at the ownership policy aspects as an additional
constraint along with capacity/time/scheduling set of constraints that
apply to links and ports.
D. Lets re-examine the need for Points, if necessary, within that
Service Plane context.

Inder (wearing non-chair hat)