[Nsi-wg] Fwd: Thoughts on a basic topology model for NSI

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Tue Feb 9 23:35:55 CST 2010

Hah! :-)  Along with swiss cheese problem, you also end up with idle
reverse bandwidth provisioned but sitting unused and blocking other
circuits...but the user is paying for it so hey whats not to like? :-)

I didn't mean to sound too strident in refuting the bidirectional
circuit practice John.  I know it has been a common and standard
practice in nearly every network for many years.   Sorry if it seemed a
bit dismissive.   We don't want to preclude a symetric bidirectional
circuit, just make sure that we aren't forced into them as the standard
service instance.   For the upcoming document we decided that we'd
accept unidirectional connections as the basic "coin of the relm" and
address more sophisticated groupings, routing, and provisioning issues
in the next version.   We do indeed want to explore the issues of
diverse routing, SRLGs, Point-to-mulitPoint and MP to MP path computing,
decomposition, and manipulation - but we just didn't have time to
address those issues by OGF.

Actually, this group is *not* supposed to be dealing with topology
exchange or even provisioning...those are process we recognize and
consider, but NSI doesn't make a specification regarding them.   NSI
only deals with the RA-PA relationship - i.e. the semantic functionality
necessary to establish trust and field service requests.   We have
decided that one service that NSI will need to include is the Connection
Service, and this was important enough that we felt it necessary to
define the functional semantics for that NSI service as well.  So we are
developing the functional semantics necessary provide such a service in
a fashion that lends itself to both WS and lowlevel protocol
implementations.

Hope this helps
Jerry

John MacAuley wrote:
> Oh Jerry I see you are a progressive thinker.  I assume my arguement
> of "bidirectional symmetric bandwidth is the way God intended" will
> not work with you then?  I can't argue with your points.  VCAT was
> designed to help carriers with the swiss cheesing problem, as well as
> permit growth of existing connections, but I get a warm sense of
> comfort when an equivalent number of timeslots are provisioned on each
> of the transmit/receive pairs at layer 1.
>
> So just for my clarification - this working group is only dealing with
> the protocols used to exchange topology and signal the reservation?
>
> John.
>
> On 10-02-09 3:47 PM, Jerry Sobieski wrote:
>> Comments in line:
>>
>> John MacAuley wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. Aggregation and summarization.
>>> 2. Routing in both space and time.