[Nsi-wg] Fwd: Thoughts on a basic topology model for NSI

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Tue Feb 9 11:23:19 CST 2010

On 09/02/2010 07:37, John MacAuley wrote:
> 1. Aggregation and summarization.

I've done some simulations, analysis and have written a chapter about
this in my thesis. My results show that aggregating a domain to a single
node performs very badly compared to an aggregation model where you
advertise a full mesh between edge nodes.
I would also argue that the advantages of simplifying the internal
domain do not balance the disadvantages you have in false positives in
inter-domain pathfinding.

However, these simulations have only used a single layer. We're
currently looking at pathfinding in multi-layer networks, and we're
thinking about how to create aggregations for multiple layers. This is a
hard problem.

Given the fact that current domains are not that complicated, and we
have a very open culture in regards to information exchange, I would
suggest that we leave the problem of aggregation open for now and just
use full topologies.

Jeroen.