[Nsi-wg] advanced reservation

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Wed Apr 21 16:38:37 CDT 2010

Hi Guy-

I think the question is a bit different:  The resources have been
successfully reserved for the appropriate window.  But the user
requested Auto-Start and an In-Service Start Time at a specific time.
The NSA reserved the resources for some Estimated Provisioning Time in
advance of the requested start time.   But when provisioning began, the
estimated provisioning time was insufficient and provisioning did not
complete before the requested start time.   What should be done?

My discussions with Inder suggested that this is indeed an error, but an
error does not necessarily mean we shut down and Cancel the connection
or the reservation.   Inder suggests (and I believe this is sensible) an
error condition should generate a Notify message toward the user to
inform them of the error.  But beyond that Notify msg, we should not
assume the the connection is no longer useable or desired.   The user
can Cancel the request if missing the start time is/was unacceptable.
Or the user could absorb and ignore the error and just keep going.   Or
some other action could be performed.  But automatically tearing down
the connection should not be the automatic reaction.

Hope this helps
Jerry