[Nsi-wg] Immediate/Advance reservation (Re: NSI conf call minutes)

John MacAuley john.macauley at surfnet.nl
Wed Apr 14 09:08:36 CDT 2010

This seems to be a very passionate topic for discussion and reminds me
of discussions back in my equipment vendor days.  Whenever we would be
working through provisioning issues we would always ask the question "Is
there any chance we could cross-connect the Playboy channel to the
Disney subscribers?"  This was a real fear for some of our customers,
but more recently it had turned into an issue of data security.  With
the type of end-user controlled dynamic provisioning we are discussing
here there will be a window of opportunity for improperly connecting
services for a short period of time.  Within a a single NRM area of
control it could make sure all resources have been released from use by
a previous schedule before re-using them in a new schedule that is being
instantiated, however, this is no longer true when a circuit is spanning
multiple NRM domains.  There is now a window of chance where a slow to
tear-down service in one domain could be joined to a fast to create new
service in another domain.  Something to consider.

This e-mail chain had been dealing with guard time for start-up, but we
also need to be careful about connection tear-down as well.  With DRAC
we implemented a guard-time mechanism to help scheduling account for
technologies that had longer setup and tear-down times.  When computing
reservations we would then work guards into both ends of the schedules
to make sure we would have sufficient time to tear down a service before
the resources could be reused in another reservation.

John.