[Nsi-wg] Immediate/Advance reservation (Re: NSI conf call minutes)

Joe Mambretti j-mambretti at northwestern.edu
Wed Apr 14 07:23:10 CDT 2010

I agree with your comments. These issues are
design decisions. The protocol can be designed
only as a request for resources, completely
agnostic to any type of timing, including a
time-to-live flag for the signal. Or it can be
designed to include some type of "promised"
service. Note that when you make a call, you have
an high degree of expectation of completing the
connection. However, sometimes, you receive a
busy signal, a message indicating that "all
circuits are busy" or the line is dropped. There
are no absolutes in communications. One
consideration with this protocol is that in
general in the near term (next 3 years) these
requests will be made for large scale resources
that will be required for extended periods
(hours, days, perhaps week). In these types of
cases an initial delay in set up is generally expected and tolerated.

At 06:58 AM 4/14/2010, Jerry Sobieski wrote:
> [...]
>>except possibly in terms of a time-to-live flag for the signal.
>>
>>>  Regarding race conditions, it's not the role
>>> of the protocol to prevent it.
>>
>>I very much agree with this. There is a
>>tendency in these types of initiatives to
>>expand the scope of the standard. These
>>tendencies should be resisted vigorously.
>>
>>>  Protocol operates in the area of single
>>> service definitions (how to request and
>>> process the request), while software will
>>> deal with simultaneous requests at different
>>> states and distributed in time (also
>>> overlapping). That's my opinion, unless
>>> someone will convince me otherwise :) Best
>>> regards Radek
>>> ________________________________________________________________________
>>> Radoslaw
>>> Krzywania                      Network
>>> Research and
>>> Development
>>> Poznan Supercomputing
>>> and
>>> <mailto:radek.krzywania at man.poznan.pl>radek.krzywania at man.poznan.pl
>>> Networking Center +48 61 858 20
>>> 28
>>> http://www.man.poznan.pl
>>> ________________________________________________________________________
>>>  > -----Original Message----- > From: Artur
>>> Barczyk [ mailto:Artur.Barczyk at cern.ch] >
>>> Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:28 PM > To:
>>> <mailto:radek.krzywania at man.poznan.pl>radek.krzywania at man.poznan.pl
>>>  > Cc: 'Inder Monga';
>>> <mailto:nsi-wg at ogf.org>nsi-wg at ogf.org; 'Guy
>>> Roberts' > Subject: Re: [Nsi-wg]
>>> Immediate/Advance reservation (Re: NSI conf
>>> call > minutes) > > > > On 04/13/2010 03:14
>>> PM, Radek Krzywania wrote: > > Hi, > > > >
>>> What is a hard deadline service? Any example?
>>> Is it synchronised with > > GPS? With what is
>>> it synchronised? What does it mean I want
>>> a > > reservation at 14:34 GMT? Is it 14:34
>>> on requestor clock,  atomic clock > > in e.g.
>>> Switzerland, synchronised GPS time (still ms
>>> of differences)? > > Different time zone,
>>> different clocks. If you not synchronise
>>> domain > > clocks you can�t talk about time
>>> in so exact manner as I feel you want > > to.
>>> Which clock are we referencing? > > I think
>>> it's not as bad as it sounds, NTP precision
>>> is enough at the time > scales we will ever
>>> be able to aim at reaching. :-) > > Being
>>> honest � I am not really > > against
>>> �thrashing�, and especially not against
>>> race conditions. It will > > be an issue when
>>> number of request will be quite high and
>>> competition > > for resources will be high.
>>> For now, facing the current demand for > >
>>> dynamic services, it�s not an issue at all.
>>> Not in version 1. Besides, > > how to solve
>>> race conditions is more an implementation
>>> issue (out of > > scope then), not a
>>> protocol. > > Radek, here I think you're
>>> wrong, sorry. In the context of multi-domain,
>>> the > protocol has to be defined in a way to
>>> avoid pitfalls such as race > conditions. >
>>> (among other things) > > Cheers, >
>>> Artur > > > > > > > > > Best regards > > > >
>>> 28
> [...]
>>> for a > >                 circuit not
>>> only > > > >
>>> "now", > > > > > > > >             I think
>>> the "now" case is actually, "as soon as
>>> possible" - > >             which is
>>> the > > > >             on-demand case. Then
>>> it just waits for the right
>>> message > >             from
>>> the > > > >             Provider Agent before
>>> it knows the connection is
>>> available > >             to be
>>> used. > > > > > > > >         Yes, absolutely
>>> agree - that's a discussion terminology,
>>> which > >         I'd
>>> be > > > >         happy to change
>>> :-) > > > >         However, we need to be
>>> precise on what we mean. An
>>> "ASAP" > >         reservation, > > > >
>>>    from a user's point of view, could mean
>>> really "any time > >         possible,
>>> starting > > > >         from now", i.e. also
>>> in 2 hours, if the resources will only
>>> then > >         become > > > >
>>> available. > > > >         I am not sure BoD
>>> does mean that. > > > >         Will in such
>>> a case a BoD reservation be converted into
>>> a > >         scheduled
>>> one? > > > > > > > > > > > >
>>> but "a minute from now", which would lead to
>>> the same > >                 problem if
>>> the > > > >                 time
>>> to > > > > > > > >             A minute from
>>> now actually becomes a "scheduled
>>> connection" > >             and there
>>> is > > > >             where the problem
>>> really starts. > > > > > > > >         I am
>>> sorry I have missed large parts of this
>>> discussion, being > >         kept off
>>> with > > > >         other workload. Sorry if
>>> I am coming back to things which
>>> might > >         be
>>> obvious > > > >         to you by
>>> now. > > > >         But I do not really
>>> understand where the problem really
>>> is. > > > >         You mention the
>>> provisioning system to have to decide what to
>>> do > > > >         if  the reservation step
>>> is not complete - but I think the
>>> right > >         design > > > >
>>> decision > > > >         would be that the
>>> system should never actually be in such a
>>> state. > > > >         (Sorry, I am falling
>>> into thinking in terms of state
>>> machines > >         here,
>>> but > > > >         well, > > > >
>>> that's what I start to believe would be good
>>> here.) > > > > > > > >         Is there other
>>> reasons? > > > > > > > >
>>> Cheers, > > > >
>>> Artur > > > > > > > > > > > >             I
>>> feel we should support both Advanced
>>> Reservation with > >             guard-time
>>> and > > > >             On-demand connection
>>> service. > > > > > > > >
>>> Inder > > > > > > > >                 process
>>> the reservation is longer than a minute (as
>>> it > >                 most
>>> probably > > > >                 will
>>> be > > > >                 in the next
>>> future). > > > >                 So the "now"
>>> string as in your option 2) would only
>>> work > >                 for a
>>> singular > > > >                 subset of
>>> 12:00pm + 5 minutes =
>>> 12:05pm. > > > >
>>> 2. Provider validates the start time
>>> as > >                             being at
>>> least the
>>> provider > > > >
>>> guard time away from now. (note
>>> requester > >                             and
>>> provider guard
>>> times > > > >
>>> could be a little different to allow
>>> for > >
>>> transmission delay of
>>> request) > > > >
>>> 3. Provider begins the reservation
>>> process > >
>>> (12:01pm) > > > >
>>> 4. Provider completes the reservation
>>> (12:02pm) > > > >
>>> 5. Provider waits for the startTime
>>> (12:05pm) > > > >
>>> 6. Provider starts provisioning
>>> locally > >
>>> (12:05pm) > > > >
>>> 7. Provider waits for confirmation
>>> of > >
>>> provisioning from NRM
>>> (12:06pm) > > > >
>>> 8. Provider sends a notification to
>>> the > >                             requestor
>>> NSA to
>>> notify > > > >
>>> that the connection is in-service
>>> (12:06pm) > > > > > > > >
>>>          Provisioning signalled by
>>> Requester: > > > >
>>>   1. The Requester NSA creates a request
>>> with > >                             a start
>>> time > > > >
>>> (StartTime).  StartTime= NSAs current
>>> time > >                              +
>>> Requester guard
>>> time. > > > >                             Eg
>>> 12:00pm + 5 minutes =
>>> 12:05pm. > > > >
>>> 2. Provider validates the start time
>>> as > >                             being at
>>> least the
>>> provider > > > >
>>> guard time away from now. (note
>>> requester > >                             and
>>> provider guard
>>> times > > > >
>>> could be a little different to allow
>>> for > >
>>> transmission delay of
>>> request) > > > >
>>> 3. Provider begins the reservation
>>> process > >
>>> (12:01pm) > > > >
>>> 4. Provider completes the reservation
>>> (12:02pm) > > > >
>>> 5. Provider waits for the startTime
>>> (12:05pm) > > > >
>>> 6. Provider waits for the signal
>>> to > >                             provision
>>> (12:10pm) > > > >
>>> 7. Provider initiates provisioning of
>>> the > >
>>> Connection
>>> (12:10pm) > > > >
>>> 7. Provider waits for confirmation
>>> of > >
>>> provisioning from NRM
>>> (12:11pm) > > > >
>>> 8. Provider sends a notification to
>>> the > >                             requestor
> [...]
>>> 499 8065 (c) > > > >             (510) 486