[Nsi-wg] Immediate/Advance reservation (Re: NSI conf call minutes)

Tomohiro Kudoh t.kudoh at aist.go.jp
Fri Apr 9 03:03:40 CDT 2010

Hi Jeroen,

There is a problem for inter-network connection. During the discussions
in some calls, the problem of synchronizing networks (managed by
different NSAs) was discussed.

If you use the "now" type request for inter-network connection (without
complicated coordination), the actual provisioning time of networks may
be different. Moreover, some networks may provision resources before
some other networks reply to the request, and such networks might deny
the request. In this case, only some parts of inter-network connection
will be provisioned.

The guard time is one of the simple solutions to solve this problem. I
understand there can be multiple ways to cope with this, but all of them
will introduce some complication to some part (note that we decided not
to use 2PC for the v1.0). This is a design choice matter.

Regards,

Tomohiro