[Nsi-wg] Conversation about ITU concepts with Ciena folks

Guy Roberts Guy.Roberts at dante.net
Fri Sep 4 04:43:25 CDT 2009

Hi John,

I note a couple of interesting (and to me) new points from the documents provided by George Newsome.  As I see it, there are broadly two ways of approaching pathfinding in multi-domain, multi-layer networks:

Approach 1:  AutoBAHN like - the layers are collapsed into a single abstracted layer and pathfinding is done on this layer.  We then perform stitching on a set of possible paths.

Approach 2:  path finding is done on a complete multi-layer graph with full knowledge of layer adaptations.  A much more limited (if any) stitching function is then required.  I think this is more like the method proposed by Freek in his thesis.

The multi-layer pathfinding proposal included in the documents from George Newsome is interesting, and in my view is close to the method used by AutoBAHN, namely the topology is fattened into a single layer which assumes the presence of adaptation in each node.  Pathfinding is the done on this flattened topology.  The problem not addressed by George Newsome is the issues covered in Victor Reijs's stitching work.

The other document of note is the transitional link document.  I think we need to be careful about adopting this concept since as far as I can see it has been created by ITU-T for a very specific purpose.  They use it for transit between sub-layers as opposed to adaptation between layers.  In their example a transitional link is used for all-optical conversion of wavelengths, where wavelengths are not real layers as there is no termination and adaptation function
when converting between wavelengths.

Guy