[Nsi-wg] Conversation about ITU concepts with Ciena folks

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Wed Sep 2 15:53:24 CDT 2009

Jeroen van der Ham, Guy Roberts and myself had a conversation with
Lyndon Ong, George Newsome and Rajender Razdan of Ciena about ITU
networking recommendations.  This was extremely helpful, and I thank
the Ciena folks very much for their time and help.

The following notes are put together by Jeroen and myself - please
feel free to add or correct or question.

We spend the first part of the meeting going over slides (see
attachnment below) describing NSI concepts in G.800 terms.  It is
worth noting that George described the evolution of the
recommendations as G.805 describing connection oriented networks, G.
809 attempting to extent that to connectionless networks, and then G.
800 which combines both.  He also commented that the way that G.800
came to be is that "G.805 was observed to be insufficient for
describing packet-switched networks (especially ethernet).  Updating a
standard is hard, hence a new standard."   So using G.800 concepts is
what is done in the slides and in discussions we have had earlier on
the mailing list.

G.8080 unfortunately still uses G.805 terminology, and adds some more
- but is in the process of being updated/reviewed.  G.8080 is also
called ASON.