[Nsi-wg] ietf NETCONF group

Joan Antoni Garcia Espin joan.antoni.garcia at i2cat.net
Fri Jun 26 02:38:35 CDT 2009

Hello Guy, all,

i2CAT has practical expertise on Netconf derived from the Manticore
project (which Lars mentioned).

Indeed, as Eduard and myself commented on call conf the 17th of June,
Netconf was born as a new interface API for network *device*
configuration, not for whole networks. However, it is true that
Netconf's XML messaging eases network configuration, since the same
configuration pattern can be replicated on any box implementing Netconf
iface.

As a side note, it has to be noted that each manufacturer has its own
implementation of the messages. Juniper networks have pioneered Netconf
implementation in their devices and they've got pretty good
documentation [1].

I hereby copy an excerpt of RFC 4741 showing the abstract (full text in
[2]):

   The Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF) defined in this document
   provides mechanisms to install, manipulate, and delete the
   configuration of network devices.  It uses an Extensible Markup
   Language (XML)-based data encoding for the configuration data as well
   as the protocol messages.  The NETCONF protocol operations are
   realized on top of a simple Remote Procedure Call (RPC) layer.
<<

My best regards,

[1] http://www-jnet.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos95/netconf-guide/netconf-guide-TOC.html
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4741
--
Joan Antoni Garcia Espin
CTX, Fundació i2CAT

El dc 24 de 06 de 2009 a les 11:06 +0100, en/na Guy Roberts va escriure: