[Nsi-wg] call tomorrow

Inder Monga imonga at es.net
Wed Dec 2 23:57:22 CST 2009

On Dec 2, 2009, at 1:05 PM, John Vollbrecht wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2009, at 2:33 AM, Inder Monga wrote:
>

>> For discussion tomorrow - a possible variation could be:
>>
>> Network Service Plane: defined as a set of abstract network capabilities offered as a service to authorized user entities. The set of services include, but are not limited to, connection provisioning, topology , monitoring , measurement services. The user entities could include external users, applications, management stations, etc.
>>
> I think this is an interesting take.  My thinking is that there is a service plane that has lots of services that can be used by an actor.  NS provider is one of these services.  Putting together an actor may include using multiple providers as well as multiple other services.

So I differentiate the Service Plane from the Network Service Plane. You are right, there are a lot of other services, even other resource management services, that can be provided by a Service Plane. I tried to narrow down the scope of the Network Service Plane to services related directly to and offered by the underlying network infrastructure.

> The set of services used by an actor is not limited to whatever is defined in NSI.

By any actor or by a NS Actor?

> What I think, but am not sure of, is that there is an OGF wg that is dealing with network information services.    This would be the place I think some of your examples would go.
>
>> Network Service Interface: An interface between a network service requestor and a network service plane to request network services. For NSI 1.0, we are limiting the services possible be requested  to the connection provisioning services.
>>
> I would say (as before) that I think it should be limited for the long term as well.

This could be a good thing to discuss in one of the calls and get the group's consensus.

>> Network Service Actor: an entity that includes an agent to get or provide network services using the twork Service Interface (which in the first instantiation only supports connections or connection reservations).
>>
> Again, I see NS Actor as a role for an Actor which may have other roles.

So I understand what you are saying better - Do you mean that an NS Actor could be a sub-capability of another Actor that is handling multiple resources? If that is so, I do not see how it changes the definition. If an Actor has different roles, that it is not a Network Service Actor?

Inder