[Nml-wg] NML namespace

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Wed Jul 18 08:55:04 EDT 2012

Hi,

If someone knows an expert in XML (and RDF) namespaces at your local
institute, I appreciate it if you can get into touch with me.

FYI --

I like some confirmation if my ideas how a slash (/) or hash (#) should
or should not be appended to a namespace.
See https://forge.ogf.org/sf/go/artf6570 for what I understand so far
about http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names/ (XML) and
http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-vocab-pub/ (RDF).

My understanding now is that if we want to define the namespace:
  http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2012/10/nml
With elements such as
  http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2012/10/nml#Node

Then in RDF, we need to write:
  @prefix nml: <http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2012/10/nml#>
  urn:ogf:network:example.org:2012:mynode a nml:Node

And in XML, we need to write:
  <root xmlns:nml="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2012/10/nml">
  <nml:Node id="urn:ogf:network:example.org:2012:mynode" />

Thus WITH slash in the RDF namespace shortcut, and WITHOUT slash in the
XML namespace shortcut.

I'm somewhat confident of the RDF example, but not sure about the XML
example -- XML only seems to define the concept of "'Node' at the
'http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2012/10/nml' namespace" but never the
concept of "'http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2012/10/nml#Node'" and how to
add a slash to join the two together.

Feedback is HIGHLY appreciated.