[Nml-wg] Volatility of urn:ogf:network identifiers

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Tue Dec 13 17:25:01 EST 2011

Jason Zurawski wrote:

> I agree with your synopsis below, and would prefer to see the added
> information be date based.  My only other thought here is if 'year' is
> granular enough?  Should month/day be included too?

I think a year or year+month is probably granular enough. I can see
accidental re-assignment of URNs in the course of a decade, but already
find it harder to see that happening in the course of a year. If a URN
is re-assigned within a year, I can only conclude that the assigning
organisation has no proper internal bookkeeping for URNs. Adding a more
specific date probably won't improve their bookkeeping. I can still
imagine two employees assigning the same URN on the same day to two
different resources.

On the other hand, I have no objections against adding a month + day.
The only drawback is that it adds 6 spurious characters to each URN --
not something I worry about.

>> Hence, I propose the following syntax for urn:ogf:network identifiers
>> (in ABFR format):
>>
>>     "urn:ogf:network:" DOMAINNAME ":" ASSIGNINGYEAR ":" SNSS

Freek