[Nml-wg] More UML....

Aaron Brown aaron at internet2.edu
Wed Jun 25 14:08:53 CDT 2008

Freek Dijkstra wrote:
>>> A _Unidirectional Link_ SHOULD have a _capacity_  attribute which
>>> describes the capacity of the link in bytes per second.
>>>

>> Not bits per second?
>>

> GMPLS defines it in Bytes per second, and I don't see a good reason to
> deviate (although I also wondered why on earth they picked this strange
> convention).

Would it be better to have a units field to describe the units that this
field is in? I'm just wary of people getting confused and entering the
more common bps instead of Bps. Technically, it would violate spec, but
it wouldn't be immediately obvious that something is wrong.

>> Would it make sense to make a cross-connect a subclass of link?
>>

> That is what we had at first. I think we changed because we sometimes
> want to explicitly say something really is a link, not a cross connect.
> If a cross connect is a subclass of a link, you can not do so.
>
> We briefly played with the notion of having a abstract class called
> "relation", of which both link, cross-connect and adaptation are subclasses.

This probably opens up a bigger question of what is a "real" link?

Cheers,
Aaron