[Nml-wg] NMLify of AutoGOLE topology

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Thu Feb 23 10:56:16 EST 2012

On 2/23/12 9:23 AM, Roman Łapacz wrote:
> W dniu 2012-02-22 22:50, Freek Dijkstra pisze:
>> I like to hear from nml-wg participants:
>> - if they think that NML should be capable of defining a topology at
>> different layers of abstraction
>
> Yes but I would make this more general and say - just different
> layers. They could be abstractions or tech layers (I'm thinking that
> layers may be also a good solution to control publishing information
> by configuring somehow that only some layers can be distributed,
> others not; a single abstraction could be split into more layers
> because of some reasons; it would be up to the implementation)

Yes.(!) Exactly.
>> - how these different descriptions should be tied together. Should we
>> define a relation between them?
>
> I think so. The work on examples will help to progress.
>
> Roman
>
>> For the NSI participants I'm interested in hearing if you think that
>> only NML should define different levels of abstraction, or if you also
>> expect NSNetwork to have different levels of abstraction, and if an NSA
>> have different levels of abstraction. (I presume both have, given that
>> NSA supports a tree-like request structure, where a top-NSA can delegate
>> requests for path provisioning to other NSA).
The different levels are IMO necessary.    For instance:  NORDUNet could
present itself to external agents as a single point abstraction-one NSI
Network with one NSA, hiding all internal structure.    There are valid
reasons for doing this - some technical, some purely business related.
Alternatively, NORDUnet could express itself as a federation of
subdomains - perhaps an NSI network in NYC, another in CPH.   And while
I might expose these abstracted NSI [sub]Networks  and the links between
them and the outside world publicly, I would still hide the underlying
physical infrastructure that provides those capabilities.  And there is
a *lot* of underlying infrastructure that is not exposed.  This more
detailed abstracted topology allows me to offer service characteristics
(geo location, latency, etc) without losing the abiity to re-engineer
those service capabilites as I deem necessary to meet my service objectives.

These abstractions are fundamentally necessary because not all of our
service provisioning is purley a matter of links and adaptations...there
is a lot of policy and "service" added to the infrastructure.