[Nml-wg] NMLify of AutoGOLE topology

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Thu Feb 23 10:21:35 EST 2012

Roman Łapacz wrote:

>> I like to hear from nml-wg participants:
>> - if they think that NML should be capable of defining a topology at
>> different layers of abstraction
>
> Yes but I would make this more general and say - just different layers.
> They could be abstractions or tech layers (I'm thinking that layers may
> be also a good solution to control publishing information by configuring
> somehow that only some layers can be distributed, others not; a single
> abstraction could be split into more layers because of some reasons; it
> would be up to the implementation)

Network layers indeed abstract the underlying complexity, but I presume
that there is also a need to abstract a single-layer network.
Hence, I propose to treat these two as different tasks for now (if we
can integrate them later in the same concept, that would be great).

I like to spend some time before next OGF to look into VLAN and layer
abstraction; if someone else would like to take up the topology
abstraction (if only single layer abstraction), that would be awesome.

>> - how these different descriptions should be tied together. Should we
>> define a relation between them?
>
> I think so. The work on examples will help to progress.

Agreed. I will dot this down as a work item. That can be either one of
Jerry's suggested examples, or just some artificial example.