[Nml-wg] Example topology of Automated GOLE

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Tue Feb 14 08:35:38 EST 2012

Hi Roman  and everyone-

The topology that Jeroen distributed was the topo used last fall for our
NSI demos.   And we did use the UvA SNE editor to initially create that
topology.   And that version of the topo should still be compatible with
SNE.

But the graphical representation created by SNE is not automatic - it is
manually created by the individual building the topology...   Attached
is the diagram we used for public consumption last fall.   A more useful
approach (IMO) to learn NSI or to understand the AutoGOLE fabric than
the SNE graphical display of this topology would be to look at any one
NSI Network - say Netherlight.ets - in the diagram, and study its
components in the OWL topology file to learn those relations to NSAs,
STPs, location info, etc.   Once you understand the set of topological
relations to one particular network, the other networks in the overall
topology are simply repeated themes.   This high level top down approach
to understanding the topology is much more effective than the SNE
graphics IMO.  Indeed, I had to manually edit the SNE graphical layout
(manually computing the coordinates of each object) in order to get a
meaningful graphical display from the topology.  The SNE editor is a
very basic tool.   And certain necessary topological relations cause
graphical diagrams to get complex and busy very quickly.    So, the
prospect of graphically editing any but the simplest topologies requires
a rather inteligent editing tool that understands and uses the network
semantics - not just RDF relations - to develop the graphical
representation and manipulation interactions.

As the topology continues to get more complex it has become unwieldy to
use the SNE editor in its current form to work on it.  So the topo
releases we are moving to this spring are not built using SNE.   The
rest of the OWL topology representation is the same, and I am pretty
sure SNE can still be used to process it, but these other
semantic/graphical issues make the SNE tool less useful than it might be
for building more complex network topologies.  NOTE:  SNE is the only
tool I know that understand the OWL data format and so I believe it
might be more useful for representing RDF semantic relations rather than
building network topologies per se...so don't take this critique of SNE
as a swipe at it...we just need a tool more aimed at network service
architectures than semantic web applications.   I always think of
CASE/CAE tools, or an object oriented approach, as a potentially more
effective GUI model.

We *do* need some sort of graphical editor for managing large scale
topological information, but we need some editing features that are not
currently available in SNE (or any other similar topology tool AFAIK).
These would include graphical sumarization and layering (not just
hardware, but service layering, control plane layers, etc.),
auto-routing/placement that "makes sense" within the semantic context of
the objects and that minimizes visual clutter, color coding would be
useful, groupings and graphical object editing ala Powerpoint or the
like, etc.   These are largely human-interface/presentation issues, some
graphical bugs resolved, etc., but nevertheless these features are why
we want graphical editors for this task, and these would make graphical
management of topologies much more intuitive and efficient - and thus used.

I would suggest that if you are starting out to create a basic topology
from scratch, the SNE editor is very good place to begin.  It works fine
for a basic not-too-complex topology and generates an OWL file with all
the headers required for this data representation form.  You can learn a
fair bit about NSI by building some simple topologies using SNE.   And
then you can study the resulting OWL output and extend the topology
using SNE or other conventional editing tools or auto-generating scripts
to generate larger more complex OWL based topologies.   And I think you
can still feed those auto-generated topologies into SNE for a rough
validation.   (There may be other ways to validate an OWL topology file
I am not aware of...Jeroen?  Any thoughts on this?)

Just some observations...
Jerry