[Nml-wg] id and name in Location

Aaron Brown aaron at internet2.edu
Thu Aug 16 08:44:07 EDT 2012

My preference is for all "objects" we define to have id and name options. The effect is pretty much #3, though for XML we'd just force the objects (network, location, etc) to inherit from a BaseObject type that had 'id' and 'name' attributes.

Cheers,
Aaron

On Aug 16, 2012, at 8:01 AM, Freek Dijkstra wrote:

> I'll take https://forge.ogf.org/sf/go/artf6573 to the list.
>
> In recent examples, it is common to add an "id" attribute and "name" to
> a Location object.
>
> These attributes are not formally defined: the "name" and "id" are
> defined in the schema as attributes of a Network Object, but Location is
> not (a subclass of) a Network Object.
>
> There are a few solutions:
>
> 1. Artifact artf6573 proposed to solve this by making Location a
> subclass of Network Object, but this proposal was opposed by a few group
> members.
>
> 2. Define "id" and "name" in two places in the schema: both as
> attributes of Network Object, and attributes of Location.
>
> 3. Allow "id" and "name" as attribute and subelement for any XML element
> and as predicates of any RDF Resource.
>
> 4. (non-solution) Don't allow "id" and "name" for Locations.
>
> I have a preference for #3. I'm sure this can be done in RDF. Can
> someone confirm this is possible in XML (RNC/XSD)? Also would this be
> allowed in a UML schema? (and if this can't be done in UML, do we care?
> -- I personally don't because I see no implementation issue.)
>
> Freek

Internet2 Fall Member Meeting
Sep 30-Oct 4, 2012 - Philadelphia, PA
http://events.internet2.edu/2012/fall-mm/