[Nml-wg] id and name in Location

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Thu Aug 16 08:01:21 EDT 2012

I'll take https://forge.ogf.org/sf/go/artf6573 to the list.

In recent examples, it is common to add an "id" attribute and "name" to
a Location object.

These attributes are not formally defined: the "name" and "id" are
defined in the schema as attributes of a Network Object, but Location is
not (a subclass of) a Network Object.

There are a few solutions:

1. Artifact artf6573 proposed to solve this by making Location a
subclass of Network Object, but this proposal was opposed by a few group
members.

2. Define "id" and "name" in two places in the schema: both as
attributes of Network Object, and attributes of Location.

3. Allow "id" and "name" as attribute and subelement for any XML element
and as predicates of any RDF Resource.

4. (non-solution) Don't allow "id" and "name" for Locations.

I have a preference for #3. I'm sure this can be done in RDF. Can
someone confirm this is possible in XML (RNC/XSD)? Also would this be
allowed in a UML schema? (and if this can't be done in UML, do we care?
-- I personally don't because I see no implementation issue.)