[Nml-wg] Interface vs Port

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Fri Aug 26 06:47:14 CDT 2011

Hello,

A long time ago we have had a discussion on naming, where we finalized on Nodes and Ports. However, due to feedback that I'm getting in projects where semantic network descriptions are now actually being used, I have received requests to change Port to Interface.

The problem is that in these projects the network descriptions become part of a larger infrastructure. Having an object named Port there to describe a network connection point is confusing to users who are not network-centric. They think that a Port object would describe something like a TCP/UDP port, instead of a whole network interface.

Would it be possible that NML also changes the Port object to Interface, so as to sync up with the schemas that are already in use in GENI, Geysers and NOVI?

Jeroen.