[Nml-wg] Services

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Fri Jun 5 05:43:08 CDT 2009

Hi Martin,

> I think there are many interpretations of Service.  This is also
> related to my other comment about the multi-layer topology
> in the other thread.
>
> I think we should include an abstract Service in the base and that
> this Service can be extended in the various layer-specific schemata.
> This would allow the use of the Service element to describe
> all the use cases that you mentioned.

Could you elaborate?

To me, the three use case I mentioned (Fixed wavelenght over a fibre,
tunable laser and VLAN) have rather different properties.

In NDL we specified with this with a bunch of classes (Layer,
Adaptation, StaticInterface, ConfigrableInterface, PotentialInterface
and InstantiatedMuxInterface plus a bunch of relations), and the three
use cases had different relations and class instances. I'm glad to write
  out all details and sent it to the list, but I hope that your ideas
may lead to less subclasses of Ports.

Just as starters, which of the three use case is to be represented as a
"service" (in my mind only #3 and perhaps #2 are; #1 is -to me- a
topology feature, not a capability feature, and not a service), and do
you like to subclass "Adaptation" from "Service", or do you like to
remove the "Adaptation" class altogether from the base schema (which is
what I read in the above, but somehow doubt that that is your intention).

So I am VERY interested to work on your ideas, but they are yet not
clear to me. So pretty please, could you make a stance at the question
of Jeroen:

> Could you write a proposal for this perhaps including a new version of
> the schema diagram? I would like to understand your proposal better.

Thanks,