[Nml-wg] Services

Martin Swany swany at cis.udel.edu
Wed Jun 3 19:36:43 CDT 2009

Hi Freek,

> We had a longer discussion if NML should define services?
>
> It was quickly clear to us that there are clearly two
> interpretations of
> the word "service":

I think there are many interpretations of Service.  This is also
related to my other comment about the multi-layer topology
in the other thread.

I think we should include an abstract Service in the base and that
this Service can be extended in the various layer-specific schemata.
This would allow the use of the Service element to describe
all the use cases that you mentioned.  As you mentioned, the reason
to do this in the base is so that we can have a generic way to relate
services to the network objects (or classes) that provide them.  This
is not the same as the specific services defined in GLUE or  but it
allows
them to be incorporated into our model.

best,
martin