[Nml-wg] Definitions of Topology, Domain and Network

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Tue Dec 15 10:35:12 CST 2009

I like these definitions, they seem to fit the model of transport and
service plane.

On Dec 14, 2009, at 7:47 AM, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As agreed at the last OGF, Inder and I have worked on the
> definitions of
> Network, Topology and Domain.
>
> - Topology: A connected graph of Network Elements
> The intended usage of this is to describe the thing that a network
> provider advertises to others as his network topology that is
> available
> for use.
I assume that a topology could include a set of interconnected groups,
where that topology is what is available to others from the set of
groups.  Can a topology be a set of ports that are potentially
interconnected?
This sounds like a description of transport plane.

> - Domain: An unordered collection of Network Elements managed under
> the
> same shared policy umbrella.
> This describes who or what is responsible for the Network Elements.
This sounds like what NSI is calling a NS actor.  In the case where a
NS actor calls other NS actors we might need a pseudo domain concept
for the group of NSAs providing resources.

> - Network: no definition
> We had a discussion about the meaning of this term and in the end we
> had
> to conclude that is not possible to provide a workable definition for
> the term 'Network'. The term Network has become so widely used for so
> many diverse meanings that it is impossible to create a strict
> definition that everyone can agree on, while still expressing
> something
> useful.
I agree with this.