[Nml-wg] Definitions of Topology, Domain and Network

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Tue Dec 15 08:32:12 CST 2009

On 14/12/2009 18:31, Evangelos Chaniotakis wrote:
> To be the devil's advocate, this leads to a situation where, for
> example, a single GOLE that provides different services (i.e.
> lightpath and vlan and SDH with no translation/encapsulation/
> multiplexing capabilities), will need to provide a separate "topology"
> per service, since the optical switch is not "connected" to the
> ethernet switch. Does that make sense? It looks unnecessarily complex
> to me.

You mean a GOLE that has an optical switch that is in no way connected
to the ethernet switch, i.e. there is no cable running between them?

Then I'd say that they are actually two different GOLEs.

> If we had the concept of a "connected subgraph" of a domain or
> topology, that might help with things.. a network provider would
> advertise a single topology object that would contain one or more of
> these.

We have to break things down into manageable chunks somehow. This is one
that seemed most natural. I'm sure there are also examples of a single
topology that is provided by multiple providers.

Jeroen.