[Nml-wg] Definitions of Topology, Domain and Network

Evangelos Chaniotakis haniotak at es.net
Mon Dec 14 11:31:03 CST 2009

On Dec 14, 2009, at 6:19 AM, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

> On 14/12/2009 15:05, Aaron Brown wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 14, 2009, at 7:47 AM, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> As agreed at the last OGF, Inder and I have worked on the
>>> definitions of
>>> Network, Topology and Domain.
>>>
>>> - Topology: A connected graph of Network Elements
>>> The intended usage of this is to describe the thing that a network
>>> provider advertises to others as his network topology that is
>>> available
>>> for use.
>>

>> So, in a case where a network has two disjoint subsets (e.g.
>> Northrop Grumman's two campuses), they'll advertise two separate
>> topologies?
>
> Exactly.
>
> Jeroen.

To be the devil's advocate, this leads to a situation where, for
example, a single GOLE that provides different services (i.e.
lightpath and vlan and SDH with no translation/encapsulation/
multiplexing capabilities), will need to provide a separate "topology"
per service, since the optical switch is not "connected" to the
ethernet switch. Does that make sense? It looks unnecessarily complex
to me.

If we had the concept of a "connected subgraph" of a domain or
topology, that might help with things.. a network provider would
advertise a single topology object that would contain one or more of
these.