[Nml-wg] New version of the schema document

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Mon Aug 24 15:15:17 CDT 2009

I have some comments on the schema -  I talked a bit with Jeroen about
these since he is in AA this month.  I like the schema and that it is
defining things so they can be discussed.  I particularly like the
definition of adaptation as being between ports at different layers -
this explains it for me and implies that adaptation takes place
between ports at different layers of the same device.

I have other comments -

1) Jeroen says that there will be an introduction, and that it will
define network- I just mention this.
2) I think that  level should be a top level element.  I think the
reason it isn't there is that there was some confusion about whether
the initial schema would be single or multiple level.
3) Subnet - the concept from G.800, 805 and 8080 should be included.
Perhaps as a top level element or as a special group - I am not sure.
4) Ports should have relationship with groups, especially with
subnetworks.  They also have relationship with layer.
5) I think that there could be virtual ports similar to virtual nodes,
so an implemented by relation would be appropriate.  Jeroen may write
this up more, but 8080 show virtual ports (SNPPs) and IDCs implement
multiple next hops using VLAN groups on some edge ports.

some smaller points -
6) I think link capacity should not be the only attribute in the
schema.  Perhaps something like "A Link MAY have additional attributes
describing the performance, ownership, policy".   A separate sentence
might say that attributes that describe throughput MUST be in bytes
per second rather than bits per second.

7) Link definition seems circular when describing it as a link :)

John