[Nml-wg] Use case: a media converter (multi-layer)

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Wed Aug 12 09:53:23 CDT 2009

Jeroen van der Ham wrote:
> In absence of a better identifier I suggest using a URL to the standard.
> Or the group that wrote the standard if none is available.
> I agree that this is incredibly annoying, and that we'll probably have
> to maintain a list with identifiers for technologies. But we can't just
> make stuff up while referring to other standards organisations.
>
> So:
> 802.3ab: http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ab/index.html
> eia-568-a: http://standardsdocuments.tiaonline.org/tia-eia-568.htm
> 802.3-2008: http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/802.3.html
> etc.

This actually raises an important point, that was also identified during
an NSI call today: how do we make sure that different networks will use
the same identifiers for technologies and adaptations?

IMO, we can't go the GMPLS way and define what identifiers can be used.
This would mean that we would have to standardize a list of identifiers,
and keep it up to date as new standards evolve.

We also can't directly use the identifiers of GMPLs, because we use
different model.

And unfortunately, there does not seem be to be a simple way of
determining identifiers for technologies and adaptations. Even the URLs
above took me some time to find and are somewhat arbitrary.

Does anyone have an idea on how we could solve this?

Jeroen.