[Nml-wg] Use case: a media converter (multi-layer)

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Mon Aug 10 14:22:47 CDT 2009

Freek Dijkstra wrote:
>    Adaptation Function      id              urn:ieee:802.3ab
>    urn:ieee:802.3ab         name            1000base-T
>    urn:ieee:802.3ab         client layer    urn:ieee:802.3-2005
>    urn:ieee:802.3ab         server layer    urn:ansi:eia-568-a
>
>    Adaptation Function      id              urn:ieee:802.3-clause38
>    urn:ieee:802.3-clause38  name            1000base-LX
>    urn:ieee:802.3-clause38  client layer    urn:ieee:802.3-2005
>    urn:ieee:802.3-clause38  server layer    urn:itu:fiber-8micron
>
> where urn:ieee:802.3-2005, urn:ansi:eia-568-a and urn:itu:fiber-8micron
> are layers -- I think we should define a class for this too.
> client layer and server layer are attributes of the Adaptation Function
> class.

I strongly suggest not to invent urn's like this, even if this is just
an example. This will be archived on the web and can always be found later.

We do not know at all whether IEEE, ANSI or the ITU have URN namespaces
like this. Or even if they do, that they want to identify their
technologies like this.

In absence of a better identifier I suggest using a URL to the standard.
Or the group that wrote the standard if none is available.
I agree that this is incredibly annoying, and that we'll probably have
to maintain a list with identifiers for technologies. But we can't just
make stuff up while referring to other standards organisations.

So:
802.3ab: http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ab/index.html
eia-568-a: http://standardsdocuments.tiaonline.org/tia-eia-568.htm
802.3-2008: http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/802.3.html