[Nml-wg] URN urn:ogf:network

Anand Patil anand.patil at dante.org.uk
Wed Oct 1 05:42:30 CDT 2008

Hi,

I was away for a week and am joining this discussion a little late.

There seem to be two distinct issues:
(1) class identifiers
(2) instance identifiers

IMO the class identifiers are in scope for NML-WG and we are in complete
control of this issue. The instance identifiers are also in scope for
NML-WG but I do not think we are the only stake holders here. This is a
larger issue and needs wider discussion with different groups to arrive
at a conclusion.

I would like to split the discussion into two threads:

For (1) we do need to discuss the pros and cons of URNs versus URLs.
This is what the GLIF document that Freek pointed out was trying to do.
URNs answer the question 'What' whereas URLs answer the question
'Where'. URNs are supposed to be location independent persistent
identifiers. What do we want the class identifiers for?

My preference for URNs is because there is a formal documented process
of (sub) delegation and ensuring uniqueness. While URLs can also be
unique there is no formal process defined.

For (2) summarising the discussion so far:
- Everyone agrees that 'Identifiers are globally unique strings'
- There is no consensus on whether identifiers should be opaque or
contain (a little or a lot of) information.
- There seems to be some consensus on 'need to know where to find more
information (which phonebook?)
- We need more dialogue with other interested parties.

regards,
- anand.