[Nml-wg] Tube Terminology

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Tue Mar 4 09:44:38 CST 2008

Hello all,

During the last OGF we have had very productive discussions, and I think
we have made quite some progression. However, one thing that we were not
able to agree on was terminology for links/circuits/connections/tubes.

Enclosed with this email are two figures that I created based on
terminology and figures in ITU-T G.805[1]. If you're interested in
G.805, Freek has written a very readable report on it[2], and we have
also written an article about modelling multi-layer networks[3].

Figure 1 shows several terms:
- *connection point* is any point that can make a connection (the
circles in the figures)
- *network connection* is the terminated connection from A to B.
- *link connection* is a direct connection between two connection points.
- *subnetwork connection* is a connection between two connection points
that you can not or do not want to  describe the details of.
- *tandem connection* is a concatenation of link connections

Figure 2 shows a multi-layer network connection between X and Y. If we
start from X, we first encounter an *adaptation* to a lower layer. Then
we go through another link connection. At that connection point we use
*multiplexing* to adapt to a lower layer to connection point A. Then we
use the same network connection as in figure 1 to go to B, where we go
through *multiplexing*, a *link connection*, and an *adaptation* to
arrive at Y.
Note that the multiplexed connection can also be viewed as a link
connection on a higher layer. The same goes for the connection between X
and Y, which is a link connection at the highest layer. And because the
connection is therminated there, it is also a network connection.

Please share your thoughts on this terminology!

Jeroen.

[1]: ITU G.805 standard: http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.805/
[2]: Introduction to ITU-T G.805, Freek Dijkstra et al.:
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~fdijkstr/publications/G805-introduction.pdf
[3]: A Multi-Layer Network Model Based on ITU-T G.805, Freek Dijkstra et
al.:
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~fdijkstr/publications/G805_Multilayer_Model.pdf

--
             My email address has changed to <vdham at uva.nl>
   (The science has disappeared from my address, but I'm still doing it)