[Nml-wg] DCN glossary

Victor Reijs (work) victor.reijs at heanet.ie
Thu Jul 3 06:44:52 CDT 2008

Hello all of you,

John Vollbrecht wrote:
> path - a connection between a source and destination.  A path is a
> sequence of hops.
> source - starting point of path - as defined by direction of signalling
> destination - end point of path- as defined by direction of signalling
> hop - a network element - [domain or node or port or link]

I see the discussion about path/circuit/link etc. And perhaps what I am
going to say is already said (had problems reading NML e-mails), but
anyway;-)

I like the separation of circuit being the actual implementation, while
path is more abstract.
What concerns me also, does a path include the User domains on both sides?
<I call them the user 'UserDomains' as they can be quite complex and can
even have NNI type signaling, although they might not be part of a
central/aggregated managed segment (by an AggregatedDomain)>

SourceDomain and DestinationDomain start/end the signaling, but the path
continues over other 'AggregatedDomains' towards UserDomains (which can
have links hops in it).

I don't know if this question helps;-) In IDC, I think, the usersdomains
are not part of the path (LIDP/SIDP)... In SF, the UserDomains are part
of the path. But I might be wrong in understanding it.

All the best,

Victor

--
Victor Reijs, Network Development Manager
HEAnet Limited, Ireland's Education and Research Network