[Nml-wg] DCN glossary

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Tue Jul 1 10:02:17 CDT 2008

Ralph -

Thanks for the discussion -

I think this raises a question about how one thinks about paths and
links.  I think one difference between IP and dynamic circuits is
that dynamic circuits require setting up ete circuits and reserving
resources for the circuits.  These reservations are done resource
providers.  We tend to think of a "domain path segment"' as being
between provider end points.  Other segments or paths could end, as
you point out, at the incoming link on the remote equipment.

Since either way the end of the path is on the same link, the
question is why it makes a difference.  If the end is on the provider
side, then the provider is able to set up all parts of the circuit
and monitor it.  What is requested of a provider is something he can
provide.  I note that in our user interface we allow request for
circuits to be made between devices (i.e. the user side of the link)
and the user interface converts it to provider endpoint links before
forwarding it to the provider.   This allows requesting connection
from user interface (as in IP) and then requesting from the provider
what it is able to provide.

For monitoring we assume that both sides of an interdomain link
segment can be monitored by their respective domain.  The link
segment between user and provider (or provider and provider) has
different names at each end of the link, and the topology must
describe this.  The reason for different names at each end is that
the domain must be part of the name in each case.  Thus interdomain
links have two names for what (if all works correctly) is the same
link.  Monitoring at each end assures that the segment is not broken.

I think perhaps there needs to be some qualification of what sort of
path is required - i.e. a user - user path or an network provider
path.  What do you (and others) think?  I think that once a provider
path is complete, users at each end must also verify that the path is
operational, at that point the path includes users.

John