[Nml-wg] Tube Terminology

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Fri Apr 4 10:54:45 CDT 2008

Aaron Brown wrote:
> Freek Dijkstra wrote:
>>> [subnetwork]
>>> so, would "opaque connection" be a more clear description?
>>
>> there is a slight difference: a subnetwork
>> connection is a opaque connections *through a given network*.
> What is 'network' in this context?

A subnetwork as defined by G.805.

G.805 defines this in a way that would make Vogon poetry mild by comparison:

> 3.33 subnetwork: A topological component used to effect routing of a
> specific characteristic information.

> 3.34 subnetwork connection: A "transport entity" that transfers
> information across a subnetwork, it is formed by the association of
> "ports" on the boundary of the subnetwork.

All that is worth remembering of this is that a subnetwork is part of a
layer network, and only contains subnetwork connections of a given
layer, and does not give details about underlying layers.

> Ok, the only issue I have is the differentiation between a tandem and
> network connection. They both seem to be paths, and the differentiating
> factor is what happens to the data after it leaves the connection (does
> it get forwarded on at the same layer, or does it get demux'd or adapted
> up to a higher layer).

Correct. It may not be necessary to distinguish between the two in
whatever schema NML comes up with. For me it is just a convenience to
differentiate between a "path" and a "end-to-end path" in discussions on
this list.

Regards,