[Nml-wg] Tube Terminology

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Fri Apr 4 09:50:34 CDT 2008

(I sent this reply to Aaron directly by mistake, here's a copy for the rest)

Aaron Brown wrote:
> Both a network and a link connection seem to be 'connections between two
> points'. You say that in one case it's terminated and in one case it's
> not.

Correct. But what I also said is that a link connection is a *direct*
connection between two end-points.

> Is 'terminated' a property of the link or is it a property of the
> connection point (or the node the connection point is attached to,
> depending on one's definition of connection point)? What differentiates
> a link whose contents gets demux'd to an higher layer vs. a link whose
> contents get routed at the same layer?

Terminated is a property of the connection between A and B. You can only
establish whether a connection is terminated if you know the details of
the whole connection, and the adaptations and the deadaptations cancel
eachother out.
Some of these details of the connection may of course be abstracted
through subnetwork connections.

> A subnetwork connection is a link or network connection that you view as
> opaque, correct? I.e. I've got a connection between these two points, i
> either don't know or don't care how it's constructed. If so, would
> "opaque connection" be a more clear description?

That is correct, I don't have a preference for either term.

> A tandem connection is a network or link connection that spans multiple
> connections? How does it differ from a network connection which in
> figure 1 also spans multiple connections?

A tandem connection does not have to be terminated.

Jeroen.

--
             My email address has changed to <vdham at uva.nl>
   (The science has disappeared from my address, but I'm still doing it)