[Nmc-wg] Result codes in MDM RRD MA and LS - action from last conf call

Jason Zurawski zurawski at internet2.edu
Tue May 11 13:33:35 CDT 2010

Hi Piotr;

On 5/11/10 10:26 AM, Piotr Pikusa wrote:
> Hi Jason!
>
> Jason Zurawski wrote:
>> RRDMA:
>>
>> - Are these only for the perfSONAR layer, or do these cover other
>> exceptions that may come up from tomcat/axis/exist?
>
> Those result codes, which were sent present only perfSONAR layer. If
> some exception comes from eXist it is covered by perfSONAR code. However
> presented list doesn't cover tomcat and axis errors if they appear
> besides the perfSONAR code and cannot be catch by it.
>
>> - I only see one that uses the 'error.' format:
>> "error.common.storage.xmldb.open". Are these all 'error's or are some
>> of them 'success' too?
>>
> Success is only responded by echo request and has a url format. When
> other requests are completed successfully just a proper message with
> requested data is sent without any success code and I suppose it is
> compatible with nmc-wg standard for MA services.
>> - There is a lot of reuse of 'query_exception'. In the new model would
>> that still be the case or would there be more specific new error codes
>> used?
>>
> Does not it come out from new results code - the clienterror and
> servererror part in the tree?

I am not sure what you mean by 'clienterror' or 'servererror' in this
case because we still don't have a complete mapping of how you think all
of the old result codes will translate into new.  I would expect that
this is the next step (we can talk about this on the thursday call).

Maybe I wasn't clear enough on my question.  From the examples that I am
reading for 'query_exception' it covers several cases:

  - Structure of the message may be wrong, e.g. "no data trigger", "no
subject element in metadata id=[...]"
  - Content in XML is unexpected, e.g. "eventType [...] in metadata id=
[...] is not supported"
  - Content is 'wrong' (not sure how to interpret this, maybe its
unexpected or maybe it is just incorrect vs. what is stored in the
backend?), e.g. "wrong ipAddress", "wrong hostName"

I would call these things different error messages since they cover
slightly different cases.

My original question was do you or Roman envision these translating
directly to a single result code in the new model, or would these be
encoded as different codes for different situations.

Thanks;

-jason

> Regards
> Piotr Pikusa
>

>> On 4/28/10 6:42 AM, Roman Lapacz wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've attached the lists of result codes which are used in java mdm
>>> services (RRD MA and LS).
>>>
>>> (Slawek and Piotr, thanks that you had some time to collect them)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Roman